Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Time Management

Time has become very precious at my property, as I have said before, but now it is of more value. I am down to a team of five guys, sometimes this is too many, sometimes this is not enough, more often than not it is not enough. We have found that the best thing we can possibly do is to plan out how our shift is going to work very first thing when we get there. Even with all this time planning there is always the fact that we choose to ignore, which is the random phone calls from needy groups and guests. Although this happens frequently it has still been excellent to have our time planned as much as possible. If you get behind on one thing you start to eat away at your day, and personally I am one of those people that starts to get a little stressed our as soon as I know that something has gone off schedule so this is very important for me. Especially in this industry and in a hotel my size things are always going on and they are always happening at different times so it has been very clutch to plan as much as we do.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! The spa I work at has reduced the staff down to skeleton shifts and more and more people are getting swamped with phone calls or lines of guests just passing through and there is no one to jump in and help them- which of course starts negatively affecting the guests because they have to wait for longer periods of time, unfortunately, we just never know when the entire town is going to start calling! I think cross-training would help a lot, I work at the spa desk but have been picking up shifts in the locker room, but if the locker room is slow and the desk gets busy, I can always jump on the desk and start processing people, which helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete